Marina case full order DR.VINEET KOTHARI, J. AND R.SURESH KUMAR, J. (Order of the Court was made by DR.VINEET KOTHARI, J.) Heard learned Additional Advocate General Mr.S.R.Rajagopal about the applications to be received for allotment of carts at Marina Beach. Learned Additional Advocate General prayed for some more time to take clear instructions and place on record the eligibility of the applicants in Category A’ (540 at the rate of 60% of 900 carts) and Category ‘B’ (remaining 40% of 900 ie., 360 carts).

[3/19, 17:25] Sekarreporter 1: W.P.Nos.16797/2015, 9159/2018 & 28690 of 2018
W.P.Nos.16797 of 2015, 9159 of 2018 & 28690 of 2018
DR.VINEET KOTHARI, J.
AND
R.SURESH KUMAR, J.
(Order of the Court was made by DR.VINEET KOTHARI, J.)
Heard learned Additional Advocate General Mr.S.R.Rajagopal about the
applications to be received for allotment of carts at Marina Beach. Learned
Additional Advocate General prayed for some more time to take clear
instructions and place on record the eligibility of the applicants in Category A’
(540 at the rate of 60% of 900 carts) and Category ‘B’ (remaining 40% of 900
ie., 360 carts).
He submitted that as of now 818 applicants hold permanent identity
cards, who are doing street vending at Marina Beach and 680 have been
issued temporary identity cards on the basis of their working at Marina Beach.
Totally, ie., 818 +680 = 1498 will fall under Category ‘A’ and all these
applications have already been received and they will compete for 540 carts.
However, there are 562 applicants in Category ‘B’, who were not enumerated
in the list drawn by the Corporation in 2019 and therefore, the Corporation
seeks to include some more fresh applicants, who intend to now start their
street vending business at Marina Beach and compete for Category ‘B’ (360
Carts at the rate of 40% of the 900 carts).
Page 1 of 6
[3/19, 17:25] Sekarreporter 1: W.P.Nos.16797/2015, 9159/2018 & 28690 of 2018
South of Chennai along the Adyar River and beautiful
beaches along Besant Nagar, is historically significant with
prominent national landmarks like Theosophical Society near
with Adyar Creek. Environmental awakening and positive
initiatives to improve the ecological health of the Adyar river
and mangrove forests have been held through many
Government and Non-Government Agencies over.
Turtle hatching areas along its share are a beauty to pause
and watch. Viewing decks can be provided along the bridge.
Therefore, the development has to be highly ecological
driven with least intrusion to the environment. This however
comes with the knowledge that no development can come
with NO impact / NO disturbance, as we are a highly
populated country. This project should look at rehabilitation
and resettlement of the existing fishermen settlements at
Srinivasapuram (approximately 1000 families) and
Ururkuppam ( approximately 200 families) without affecting
the livelihood. The objective of the project is to initiate a
positive growth and change the existing fabric of their lives
for the good of a larger area.
To sumarize, this project shall add to the new landmarks of
the City and add a positive feature to the skyline of the city.
All notable cities around the world are meeting
developments along its stride and human needs and
aesthetics going hand with environmental sensitivities.
The pre feasibility study concludes that the project is
viable with suspension bridge and elevated
Page 4 of 6
[3/19, 17:26] Sekarreporter 1: W.P.Nos.16797/2015, 9159/2018 & 28690 of 2018
connection in the shore are of the Urur Kuppam
side.”
Learned Additional Advocate General prayed for four weeks’ time to
obtain the Detailed Project Report of the independent Agency within a period
of four weeks. For the aforesaid two Projects, four weeks’ time is granted to
the Chennai Corporation to submit the Detailed Project Reports.
Mr.Yogeshwaran has appeared for some of the impleading
applicants (fishermen), raised objections to the proposed project of Elevated
Link Road from Marina Link Road to Besant Nagar. We consider that the
objections at this stage is premature and let the Detailed Project Report be
produced before this Court within a period of four weeks from today.
Learned Additional Advocate General may also file a Counter
Affidavit to W.M.P.No.4585 of 2020 filed by M/s.AKN Brothers, represented
by Dr.G.Krishnamurthy, in the meantime.
Post the matter initially on 24.03.2020 and again on 16.04.2020.
(V.K.,J.) (R.S.K,J.)
19.03.2020
KST
Note: Issue order copy today (19.03.2020)
Page 5 of 6

You may also like...

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Call Now ButtonCALL ME