The Bar Council of Tamilnadu and Puducherry has unanimously resolved to extend financial assistance to all those needy advocates, who are unable to meet their day to day expenses i.e. Food, Medicines etc., due to the lockdown in the wake of National pandemic COVID – 19 VIRUS.
Now, the Bar Council has opened the Bank Account for this purpose. The Bar Council request all the Senior Advocates and other advocates, all Bar/Advocates Association to contribute fund to the following Account so as to provide Financial Assistance to the needy lawyers and the contributors name will be published in the official website of the Bar Council:-
Name of the Account : Bar Council of Tamilnadu and Puducherry
(BCTNP) Advocates Relief Fund
Name of Bank : Indian Bank
Branch : Madras High Court
Account No : 6873278505
IFSC Code : IDIB000M157
The applications will be received from the advocates through Bar/Advocates Associations upto 20.04.2020 and the Bar Council stipulated the following conditions to extend the benefits to them:-
- The applicant was in real and active legal practice at the Bar as on the relevant date.
- Advocates/Applicants required to pass AIBE mandatorily within stipulated period and must enclose/refer passing acknowledgement.
- Applicants should have submitted Certificate and Place of Practice application/declaration form under Certificate of Practice Rules, 2015.
- The applicant is not receiving any monthly payment from the Advocate to whom he/she is junior, as certified by his/her Senior lawyers.
- The applicant was not earning monthly income Rs. 15,000/- as on the relevant date.
- The applicant is finding himself in great difficulty for his subsistence or for purchase of medicine or regular treatment due to extraordinary situation.
- Who is residing in rented accommodation (rent agreement or self attested affidavit in this regard to be furnished)
- Spouse should not be an employee.
- Advocate/Spouse should not have either immovable properties or four wheeler.
- Advocate enrolled after retirement from any service is not eligible.
- Income tax assesses are not eligible under this Scheme.
(Any other conditions that may be stipulated by the Bar Council.)
(Note:- On enquiry, if it is found that any applicant furnishing false particulars to avail the benefit, the Council will initiate disciplinary action against the concerned, under Sec. 35 of the Advocates Act, 1961, in addition to recovery of the amount with penalty as determined by the Council.)
The applications received will be considered by the Bar Council and grant the amount. The quantum of amount will be decided by the Bar Council, depending upon the number of applications received and availability of the Fund, which will be credited directly, through online to the respective accounts of the needy advocates.
The Bar Council appeals that only those advocates, who are in dire need can apply for assistance, in view of the limited resources, available. The advocates may apply for Financial Assistance in the prescribed form under the conditions framed thereunder. The eligible criteria and instructions are available on the website of Bar Council and the advocates can apply viz., www.barcounciloftamilnaduandpuducherry.org. The applications received by the Associations have to be scrutinized by a Committee consisting of:-
- The President and Secretary/Adhoc Committee Members of the Association
- Three Advocates (not less than 20 years of practice in the Bar).
- Anyone of the Bar Council Member of the Concerned District (if available).
The received applications should be send directly to the Bar Council. The list of the applicants with their particulars (Name, Enrolment Number, Phone Number) should be forwarded to the Bar Council through E-mail viz., firstname.lastname@example.org immediately after the receipt of the applications on or before 20.04.2020.
Therefore, I request all the members of the Bar to contribute the amount liberally to the said Account as early as possible and the advocates, who are really suffering, due to the lockdown may apply for the fund through the concerned Bar/Advocates Associations on or before 20.04.2020.
CHAIRMAN, BAR COUNCIL.