[1/28, 08:14] Vasanthakumar Advt: The Supreme Court of India came into existence on 26th January, 1950 , at the Parliament House. Its inaugural session was held on 28th January, 1950 in the Chamber of Princes & then Federal Court Judge, Justice. H.J.Kania was appointed as first Chief Justice. The Supreme Court functioned from the same chamber until 1958, when it is shifted to the present building.
After its inauguration on January 28, 1950, the Supreme Court commenced its sittings in a part of the Parliament House. The Court moved into the present building in 1958. The building is shaped to project the image of scales of justice. The Central Wing of the building is the Centre Beam of the Scales. In 1979, two New Wings – the East Wing and the West Wing – were added to the complex. In all there are 15 Court Rooms in the various wings of the building. The Chief Justice’s Court is the largest of the Courts located in the Centre of the Central Wing.
The original Constitution of 1950 envisaged a Supreme Court with a Chief Justice and 7 puisne Judges –
[1/28, 08:21] sekarreporter1: 👍